Wastewater treatment plant with MBR technology (membrane biological reactor) of Mitsubishi
General advantages of Mitsubishi membrane separation:
• Concentration of sediment in the activation is up to 15 kg/m3, this allows to reduce technological volumes of biological WWTP for about 70% compared with the traditional WWTP. This greatly reduces the area of land used for construction – about 50%.
• Treated water is filtrated – content NL = 0.
• A size of filtration holes is 0,4 micro metre. This ensures filtration of size of bacteria. Therefore, even if there is a decomposition of flakes by action of for instance toxic matters (heavy metals, ect.) contained in flowing waste water, bacteria can not drain from the system as it is with conventional WWTP. In the conventional WWTP is common that if something acts toxic on nitrifying bacteria, these bacteria do not produce sufficient flakes able to settle and are therefore no caught by sedimentation in settlement tank and flow out of the system. This is especially true for a long time growing bacteria which is necessary to sustain in the system for biologically difficult decomposed substances. For example an effectiveness of MBR WWTP on biological decomposition of drugs is many time higher that in conventional wastewater treatment plants. This is the basic difference in quality between the conventional activated WWTP and membrane WWTP. This technological effect has an importance especially in industrial wastewaters. Many industrial wastewaters, which are not biologically cleanable by conventional technology with separation of sediment by sedimentation, can be very well biologically treated with use of MBR Mitsubishi technology.
Mitsubishi membranes have been long proven in the toughest industrial environments. For urban waste water is the quality of purified water (except NL) on the level of about 30 % of classic technology with the same chemical-technological parameters of activation.
• Especially very convenient technology for biological phosphorus removal –incomparably greater efficiency and hassle-free technology of entire biological WWTP.
• System is also advantageous for the intensification of the existing WWTP due to the fact that on the same land and construction part can be increased substance performance of WWTP at 200 to 300 %.
• Operation is fully automatic and therefore an operator does not need to understand the process of biological treatment. This has the advantage mainly for small WWTP in ownership and operation of communities of less then 4000 PE (population equivalent).
• The whole technological device is commonly used (domestic) – only membrane modules are Japanese.
• Lifetime of membranes in municipal wastewater treatment plants is estimated (based on over 40 years of operating experiences) for about 15 to 20 years. Because municipal wastewater treatment plants in Slovakia are dimensioned to Q max daily, and therefore, there is a big reserve in a hydraulic system compared to actual total annual flow through a WWTP.
• The costs of a membrane replacement (stainless steel construction of module remains) are with lifespan of 15 years and sewer rate of 0,6 € per 1 m3 of treated water approx. 4 % of this sewer rate.
• Occasional chemical treatment runs while WWTP is in operation and takes up to 2 hours.
• Warranty on membranes is 5 years.
• Very advantageous also for a singular sewer system – with an inflow from the rain, the substantial amount of waste water runs through conventional line with feeding tanks, but with normal sewage (rainless) inflow, the substantial part of sewage water runs through MBR Mitsubishi and therefore especially in dry seasons – ecologically the most serious – the MBR Mitsubishi technology radically ensures an extreme quality of treated water.
• Significantly lower total capital costs of sewerage system:
- The size of less than 1500 PE, the costs for MBR Mitsubishi are higher than in conventional continuous technology.
- For size of 1500 to 2000 PE are the costs about the same.
- For WWTP the size of approx. 5000 PE are costs for MBR Mitsubishi lower by about 10-20%.
- For WWTP the size of approx.15 000 PE are costs for MBR Mitsubishi lower by about 15-25%.
- For WWTP the size of 100 000 PE are costs for MBR Mitsubishi lower by about 20-40%.
- For WWTP the size of 500 000 PE are costs for MBR Mitsubishi lower by about 30-50%.
The largest WWTP with this technology is for the part of Beijing in China at capacity of 1 000 000 PE (1 million PE). The second largest WWTP is for the part of Singapore city at capacity 68 000 m3/per day. South Korea, which in a long term half operating and operating in full capacity monitored various membrane systems, decided that only for Mitsubishi membranes, this Korean state, provides grants on a nationwide program for rebuilding the conventional WWTP to the membrane WWTP. It is also certain indication of quality of these Japanese membranes.
The EU begins construction of a WWTP at capacity approx.150 000 PE and the flow of approx. 18 000 m3/per day for the city of Tilburg in the Netherlands. It is a mixture of sewage and industrial waste waters. As the construction is financed by private investors the only criterion of tender was total costs for realization of this WWTP plus the cost for 10 years operation. The winner of this tender for this WWTP will be operation for 10 years. The German companies which offered the conventional technologies together with anaerobic stabilization of excess sediment and with use of biogas were “dramatically” more expensive. The MBR Mitsubishi technology was significantly the cheapest! It is obvious that illogical EU subsidies significantly distort the market! Not only with the municipal waste water treatment plants. We do not believe that in Beijing, Singapore, Japan or South Korea would be build WWTP with MBR Mitsubishi technology, if such technology does not have significant, particularly economic advantages compared to conventional technologies.
In the present day it is estimated that the number of WTTP with MBR Mitsubishi technology is approx. 4000. Mitsubishi declares of itself that it is the world's largest manufacturer of membrane modules to the total flow capacity. The total performance capacity of MBR Mitsubishi also in time of crisis increases exponentially. It is quite possible that this increase in capacity of MBR Mitsubishi is not despite of the economic crisis but because of this crisis….ha, ha.
In France, it has been shown that some species of fish in the rivers started to significantly fast change gender. It has been found that it is only because in the rivers were found contraceptive agents that are used by women to prevent pregnancy. Residual concentrations of biologically active substances can the MBR technology eliminate significantly (several times) and more effectively than the conventional technologies. The substantial negative effect of commonly used medications in wastewaters has been conclusively demonstrated in the EU. The problem is so critical that a serious health effect on population in the western EU has been unambiguously demonstrated. Therefore, in the near future, the EU is preparing fundamental changes in legislation in this important matter. Simply, do not construct a WWTP with the technology of 20th century, but implement the technology of 21th century even with disadvantages that this technology has. Health of our children and our grandchildren is after all more important than saving 10 to 15 % on electricity consumption??!!
In the present time, until February 1, 2013, in the Slovak republic, in the town of Hurbanovo is operating already approx. for 10 months the municipal WWTP with the MBR Mitsubishi technology on flow of waste water through membrane line of approx. 2300 m3/per day. Based on current operating experiences, within this WTTP, it is estimates that the chemical lifespan of Mitsubishi membranes will be certainly over 20 years
We would be pleased to arrange a visit – tour- of the WTTP Hurbanovo in Slovakia for a serious investor who will prepare a new WTTP or enhance capacity of existing municipal WTTP of a capacity more that 1 000 m3/per day.
We provide a warranty of 5 years on the Mitsubishi membranes.
At the end of the year of 2012, the company ALVEST MONT s.r.o., with the MBR Mitsubishi technology, won the international tender for the implementation of the municipal WWTP for the part of the city of St. Petersburg in Russia for the capacity approx. 80 000 inhabitants. The private investor of this construction had to make a decision, and therefore, this investor had viewed more than 20 wastewater treatment plants in the western EU as well as in Czech and Slovak republic. After visiting the WWTP Hurbanovo, the investor had decided, “easily” and unambiguously, for this Japanese technology.
In no way is a conventional technology unpromising! No! The conventional technology had and will have permanently its advantages.
But in addition to the above, the MBR Mitsubishi technologies have also a great potential with relatively minimal capital and operating costs to significantly improve the quality of treated water at critical stages (dry summer seasons) and thereby substantially improve the long term environment.
We look forward to possible future cooperation.
›››Contajner list Mitsubishi
Leaflets for downloading (PDF)
> Membrane biological reactors
Biological treatment of industrial wastewater
Mitsubishi membrane module